Yes Man


Dear Mr. Jim Carrey,
It has been a long time since I have seen one of your films. Sufficed to say when I was in high school I saw "Ace Ventura" 3 (count 'em 3) times in the theater. "Dumb and Dumber"? I was there. "Liar Liar"? There. "Truman Show"? Yup. I was even there for "The Mask", "Cable Guy", "Me, Myself, and Irene", and "Batman Forever" (you were the ONLY good thing about that film btw). I saw your turn as Andy Kaufman and I loved you in "Eternal Sunshine". The Grinch bored me a little but you were creepy in it, congrats. "Bruce Almighty" was surprisingly cute. And your performance as Count Olaf in "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (what happened to those?) was stellar. Did I mention I even saw "Fun with Dick and Jane"? So why then...with all this history between us, did I have pretty much zero interest in "Yes Man"? Not enough marketing (cough cough "Horton Hears a Who!")? Zooey Deschanel, your love interest in the film? I adore her. She's awesome. Your compadre Bradley Cooper? Are you kidding? He's Will from ALIAS! He's great. Maybe it's your boss Rhys Darby? Not a chance in hell, he's Murray from my beloved Flight of the Chonchords. Crazy sidekick John Michael Higgins? He's HILARIOUS.

So what is it? What I'm getting at, poorly, is that you should choose more wisely. You're at a critical point in your career. It could be over or you could (gasp, not that word, don't say it) REINVENT yourself and smash audience expectation. Don't go the way of a slew of comedians before you who decide that they'd rather settle on sap for a paycheck rather than intelligent storytelling. On paper "Yes Man" should be funny, I would venture to say side-splittingly so...but it isn't. There are some memorable moments but overall it left me feeling like I had just watched a watered down holiday TV movie on the Family Channel. Ouch.

It hurts me Jim to talk to you this way. I wanted to be with you until the end. I'm just not sure I can go on like this anymore with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment