(500) Days of Summer


Like so many others before me, I have loved and lost. Relationships in the 21st Century are more than messy, sometimes they seem downright impossible to maintain and if they fall apart it seems they are increasingly harder to recover from with social networking and all the other forms of communication we've become so accustomed to. Why do our relationships last and why do they end? Can you get someone back? What if there is no such thing as love? Is there no end to this line of questioning?

If we're being supremely general, there are cynics and there are dreamers. "(500) Days of Summer" introduces us to one such cynic and dreamer. Young Tom is our dreamer. He's played by a man who appears to have a thing for numbers, Joseph Gordon-Levitt ("10 Things I Hate About You", "3rd Rock from the Sun", "Numb3rs"). Our cynic is Summer, the always lovely and adorable Zooey Deschanel. Who wouldn't fall for either one of these actors or characters? I mean really, they couldn't be any cuter if they tried.

The film is a wonderful tale of love, loss, pain, and exuberance. As the days go by and jump around you feel as though your own memories are flashing before you. If I'm being 100% truthful, my reaction to this film is biased. Very biased. "(500) Days o Summer" is the kind of film I entered film school aspiring to make (well, that and something along the lines of "Jurassic Park"). My little student film was all about a poor guy who couldn't seem to figure women out, let alone get a grip on his own issues. I think I adored this movie with that bias in mind. Surely, average Joe (or Jill) will find it charming as well though. It's a perfect portrait of boy meets girl.

Check out the trailer:
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/500daysofsummer/

No comments:

Post a Comment