Food, Inc


I appreciate a good investigative documentary however I am always leery of what I'm being told because I know how incredibly powerful and manipulative a documentarian can be to forward their agenda.  I despise people reaching gargantuan decisions about the way they live or what they believe exclusively because of what someone manufactured in the edit suite.  I don't mean to say there isn't truth in every documentary and I also don't mean to imply that they aren't useful tools to raise awareness for important issues.  I'm merely stating that we must all seek out multiple sources for our information and sometimes look in unexpected places.  Be your own detective if you must.  The truth is out there - a documentary will always be showcased through the biased lens of whoever is telling the story no matter how 'observational' it may appear.

With all that said, Food, Inc is eye-opening and incredibly disturbing.  It makes you to want to pick up the phone, call the president and say, "fix this".  The truth is, the change will need to come from us.   Start little.  Clearly, we can't all afford local and organic foods.  However little bits will add up if we all try.  We live in one of the most bountiful nations in the world and we've allowed it to become driven by corporate greed.  In the end, it's leading to our demise slowly but surely.

1 comment:

  1. I started to watch this but couldn't get past the part with the tiny chicks being implanted with some growth hormone...I know I'm a wimp. I should really try again.

    ReplyDelete