The Day the Earth Stood Still


Okay truth. Honestly, I've had a crush on Keanu Reeves since I was about 16 years old. There's no denying it. I think the man is handsome, and I really really don't care that he isn't that great of an actor. Additionally, I love Sci-Fi. Aliens coming to earth? I'm in. Already, this movie has two things going for it. Jennifer Connelly - solid actress - check. Cute-as-button-like-charm in Will Smith's son Jaden? Check. John Cleese? Already laughing. Check. Jon Hamm (dreamy/a-hole ad exec from AMC's "Mad Men")? Bring it Jon. Check. Now we're up to 6 things...the movie has barely made it through the opening credits and I'm happy. Cut to about 15 minutes in where Kathy Bates attempts to portray the fierce-fisted pushy American top dog and I'm bored. The giant robot-like alien GORT brings the most excitement to this party - and believe me, it was a crappy party. If I could compare it to a kegger I once went to in college, I would say GORT was the linebacker everyone was trying to hold up for a keg stand and you just couldn't get him upside down not matter how hard you tried. Some things just don't work...like taking the 1950's vision of the future and cut and pasting it into 2008 with some CG. Not good. Poor guy, it's not his fault he was so lame. While the cinematography was glorious (there's a beautiful scene in a foggy forest), the rest of the film left much to be desired (sorry Keanu) and while I didn't hate it - I really didn't love it. For now, stick with the '51 original. You'll leave more satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment