Seven Pounds


Ah that Will Smith. Is there a single mistake he has made in his career? Okay, besides "The Legend of Bagger Vance" and "Wild Wild West" (in his defense, I can see why he'd want to team up again with Barry Sonnenfeld (at the helm of "Men in Black") and work with the great Robert Redford). The thing that I love about the guy is that he's solid. He makes wise career choices and never stoops to the lowest common denominator to sell more albums or get more butts in the theater seats.

In "Seven Pounds" he plays Ben Thomas. Here's where my ability to review effectively comes into question. See, I want to tell you all about his character and how superbly he played him, but I don't want to ruin one single solitary moment of this movie for you. It requires a giant question mark in your brain upon entering to fully appreciate it. What is this movie all about? Who is this guy? What exactly is happening? These questions, while all valid will be answered slowly but surely throughout the course of this eye-watering, hand squeezing, love fest. If it seems like I'm being vague...I am. Just see it. It will make you question and more importantly - it will make you feel something - whether it's sadness, hope, joy, or pain - this film is chalk full of it all and what you take away from it will likely vary dramatically from the person in the seat next to you. It's a conversation starter for certain. Make time after to have coffee to discuss it.

I tip my hat off to you Mr. Smith. Your range continues to surprise and impress me as your career continues forth. I don't see The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in the movies you make, I see the wide array of often complicated and complex characters you portray.

Check it:
http://www.sevenpounds.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment