Mamma Mia!


You see what I put myself through for you all? I subjected myself to 108 minutes (about 106 of which were filled with singing) of ABBA inspired entertainment. I should preface this review by saying I hate ABBA but I wanted to like this movie. I really did. I love musicals! I wanted to be enchanted by Greece. I was rooting for Meryl Streep. I hoped desperately to not hear "Dancing Queen". Alas, none of my dreams came true. This was a painfully good example of good actors mixed up in wrong doings (Colin Firth? What happened?). Some people aren't meant to sing and dance. Some stories are best left untold. Perhaps the Broadway show is more enthralling, but as a film musical "Mamma Mia!" simply falls flat on most counts. One would think that the basic plot-line (the bride not knowing who her father is and inviting the 3 candidates to her wedding without her mother's knowledge) would be cause for endless moments of hilarity. Wrong! Someone should have hired some SNL writers to take a crack at this. It needed stronger humor, solid singing chops from its leading stars, and a little less ABBA!!! I know, it's all about ABBA songs but it was just too much. We needed at least 5 fewer songs to make this movie even remotely acceptable. Thumbs down. Most definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment