Slumdog Millionaire


Believe all the hype you have heard. Slumdog Millionaire is fantastic. The winner of this year's Golden Globes for best picture (drama), director, screenplay, and musical score is 100% deserving. This movie is such a beautifully executed emotional roller coaster. Within minutes I was struck by total disgust, side-splitting laughter, and quiet tears and by its finale I found myself clapping fervently with the rest of the audience. What storytelling!! I didn't quite know what I was truly in for until about 15 minutes in and then suddenly I was slapped in the face with its genius. On paper it's a film about a guy on Who Wants to be a Millionaire in India. Below the surface, it's an intricate multi-layered gem.

The main characters are incredibly rich and exquisitely cast at 3 different ages. I honestly couldn't believe how much I cared for them throughout the course of the film. I can't even pick a favorite performance because they were all stellar.

The photography by Anthony Dod Mantle is spectacular. At times, it was lit in such a way that almost brought me to tears. Natural light has done this to me before in films shot by the brilliant John Toll (The Thin Red Line, Legends of the Fall to name a few) but artificial light has never truly possessed such an emotive quality for me until now. If Mantle isn't nominated for an Oscar for Best Cinematography it will be a complete travesty (since this review the noms have come out, and yes - it is up for Best Cinematography).

Director Danny Boyle has brought us a curious cacophony of films up to this point. Sunshine. Millions. Trainspotting. The Beach. 28 Days Later. Each film pulled in audiences with a specific fan base that wouldn't necessarily line up to see the next one. Slumdog Millionaire is a film for virtually anyone. The story has universal appeal. Please support this movie and get yourself out there to see this film. It deserves all the success it's garnering. If audiences demand to have quality filmmaking and intelligent storytelling the industry will listen. Help bring films like this the attention they are so very worthy of.
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/slumdogmillionaire/

No comments:

Post a Comment