Hancock


For whatever reason when this film was out in theaters I had somewhere between 0 and 1 percent interest in heading out to see it. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just wasn't terribly appealing. So when I decided to finally give this flick a chance I didn't have high hopes. Throughout the first 20 or so minutes I was unsure where it was headed or if I was even interested. Then suddenly, it became kind of fun - in a weird way that you almost don't want to admit. First of all - surprisingly it was nice to see Jason Bateman team up again with Charlize Theron (they spent some time together on the tragically cancelled gem "Arrested Development"). They clearly have fun together on set and throw in Will Smith and you have a curiously successful trifecta - three entities you wouldn't necessarily think to put together but wow - it's perfect. Mind you, this is a big stretch for me to state - Theron has never been one of my favorite actresses. However, she pulled it off this time and Bateman and Smith were spot on as per usual. This was also a reconnection of Bateman with director Peter Berg. They recently worked together on "The Kingdom" - an entirely different sort of movie dealing with heroes. I recommend giving it a chance if you haven't already (bring kleenex).

Anyway, back to this movie..we begin the story at John Hancock's lowest point - he's a drunken, rude prick with superhuman powers and an urge to save people (somewhat poorly)...not exactly a candidate for the Justice League. Thankfully public relations guru Ray (Bateman) wants to give him a superhero makeover which leads to a plethora of twists and turns that miraculously kept me interested for the entirety of the film. As an added bonus, the special effects were impressive with some pretty entertaining stunts throughout. Overall I have to say, I did enjoy myself (insert shock here). It wasn't the best movie of the year by a long shot and while at times the film seems to struggle to stay within a specific genre, it somehow keeps itself together just enough to work - recommended rental fare for a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment