Catfish

Catfish.   This film seemed WAY more interesting to me than The Social Network in terms of the real power of social networking.   For those that know absolutely nothing about it - good.  I'm not going to tell you too much because doing so would spoil the movie.  What I will tell you is simply that Catfish is a documentary about a relationship that blossoms on Facebook.  It brings up a plethora of interesting topics that have kept me thinking about it intensely for the past few days.  15 years ago we would never be talking about any of these things but now, in our techie, modern, and connected lives it's one of the most relevant and current films to come along in ages.  What do you really know about anyone that you meet virtually?  For example - you're reading this blog.  I'm assuming that a fair number of you actually know me.  You know my quirks and mannerisms, how tall I am, where I work, etc.  I'm guessing though that a bunch of you don't know me and somewhere in your brain you've developed some notion of who I am and what I'm like "in real life".  Isn't that odd to think about?  Watch Catfish and then think about it some more.  You won't be able to help yourself.  I'm not including the trailer because I really think this film is better the less you know about it going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment