The Town

Admittedly, I had a Ben Affleck crush since...well okay, a while ago.  I'll do my best to be unbiased about this one.  What's interesting is that I don't even really need to.  He's proven himself a far better filmmaker/writer than actor over the years (unless of course we're counting Armageddon.  Come on.  Does it get any better than "Harry, for real now, I love her"?  I don't think so).  He also continues to focus his lens on his home turf, Massachusetts.  I keep assuming audiences will get sick of it but they're (I'm) not and his films continue to do well at the box office and gain critical acclaim.

It all began fairytale style with pal Matt Damon with Good Will Hunting.  Then just four years ago he released a supremely solemn and strikingly good film starring his brother Casey, Gone Baby Gone.  And now, The Town - a look at a band of "townies" who spend their days on a dizzying array of robberies.  It's solid.  I can't say it was one of my favorites from this year.  For me, the story just lacked a certain something.  Don't you love it when you can't even pinpoint exactly what it is?  Yeah, me too.  I think it has vaguely something to do with rooting for a criminal.  Sure, but he's a good guy and he can't help his situation.  Can he though?  I don't know.  I wasn't feeling it.  Besides my small inner conflict with the premise, the film was engaging and I'd certainly recommend it as a rental.  Oh, and if Ben doesn't entice you - maybe someone off this list will: Jon Hamm, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper, Jeremy Renner, & Rebecca Hall.  Pretty decent cast, right?  See the trailer here

No comments:

Post a Comment