True Grit

100% truth.  I had no interest in seeing this movie.  The only reason I did was naturally because it is a nominee for best picture at the Oscars this year.  Here's the deal, I read the book as a kid and I also suffered through the movie.  I really hated both of them.  Maybe they didn't appeal to my middle school sensibilities, who knows?  All I remember was I was bored to tears and I really didn't like the story.  Sadly, that still rings true all these years later.  The thing is...the Coen Brothers made it much more bearable for me in a couple of ways.

Roger Deakins is the Director of Photography and his eye is simply spot on.  This film marks his ninth Academy Award nomination and he stands a good chance of winning.  The other notable standout is young Hailee Steinfeld who is nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category.  I have to say, I find it interesting that it's the supporting field.  Her character seems to own the bulk of the story more so than the marshall (played by Jeff Bridges).

No comments:

Post a Comment